Monday, August 15, 2005

Start Of School

How is it even remotely possible to dread something to the point of tears and yet be so excited about it that you feel like your about to wet your pants? The start of school never ceases to amaze me. I have exactly six days, eight hours, twenty three minutes, and fourteen seconds before I will be sitting in a cold desk wondering what my new teachers are going to be like and wondering just how much I'm going to have to suck up to them to get those hard earned A's. Just kidding.

But seriously, how can it be that school is starting in less than a week? My fellow summer school prisoners can agree with me that it is very not fair that we just got out of the classroom and are now forced back into it. Not that I'm complaining - at least this year I didn't have to suffer through the few weeks before school starts when you're almost tearing your hair out because you have absolutely nothing to do. Still, it's going to be a bummer to go back so soon.

There's something about the first day of school, though, that is strangely exhilerating. It's a new start, a new beginning. In some ways it's like the year before never happened, and you're starting with a clean slate (or a new spiral notebook), ready to learn new things. In other ways, though, it's interesting to know that the kid that threw up on your desk in second grade is still going to be making frequent trips to the principal's office.

The one good thing that you can count on without fail, however, is the back to school shopping for school supplies. Maybe it's just me and my crazy, mixed up lifestyle, but there's something about the smell of newly sharpened pencils and a notebook that's just been opened for the first time that makes everything worthwhile. So even though I know that by the second week of September I'm going to be marking down the days until Christmas vacation, school is starting to look fun to me. I'll see all of my old friends, and, with a little luck, I might just be able to get by without running into barfer boy.

No comments: